Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The best beer of my life


Roosters. Cocks. Chickens. Call 'em what you want, but I'll tell you one thing.
They're f**king annoying.
5:00 in the morning and they start up, calling out to the frying pan in my mind.
Apparently there's a farm next door, they raise Cocks. Fighting cocks to be exact. Seems to be a popular sport in Hawaii.
I can usually handle the early morning wake up call and squeeze my eyes shut for another couple hours to get a decent nights sleep.
Not this morning. I think it was the fact that I was up till 3:30 the night before. Not getting enough sleep makes me pretty annoyed. Getting only a couple hours really makes me annoyed.
Welzie stumbles in around 8:30. He's hung over. The tequila the night before didn't do him any favors either. Coors light and Tequila, some spicy mexican food, combined with a couple hours of sleep makes for an amazing way to start the day.
Sweet.
We have to get to the shop early. There's another shaper jockeying for the room I use. He gets in the way. Luckily He doesn't make the 5 am wake up call.
...
Fast forward. 9 hours and 40 minutes forward to be exact. Long day in the foam. Drinking a lot of fluids is a good idea when you're on your feet all day walking in circles in a hot room.
I didn't do that.
At least Welzie was kind enough to bring me lunch. One half of a chicken and some rice. He's a saint in my mind. I savored every bite of the greasy sweet revenge. I hoped it was a rooster... but somewhere deep down inside, I fear it was a hen... so sweet and succulent.
The sacrificial chicken still didn't cover the fact that I didn't consume enough fluids.
Drained. Dehydrated. Parched.
I air hose the dust off and stumble down the stairs. The whole day has gone to dark in the blur of 4 longboards.
I reach the refrigerator, silently praying that Welzie has stocked it with some freshies.
Salvation.
As I grab the coldest looking one- closest to the freezer section of the fridge I feel the frost come off in my palm.
Bingo.
The mountains are so dark blue, they're almost purple. Two-stage cold activated.
It's not frozen as I pop the top. You can always tell because they instantly froth over.
Liquid gold. It's gone in three gulps.
Worlds most refreshing beer. They can keep that trademark. I love you Coors Light. -Carl