Saturday, December 10, 2011

Fire safety check

I remember being annoyed when my Pops came down on me about the possibilities of a fire happening at my first shop, laid out in the back of my parents yard when I was 17. He made me install fire sprinklers and I thought it was so lame... I remember the dorky sprinkler hanging down right in the middle of my main shaping room like it was yesterday. Running all the pipe was the biggest inconvenience to my extremely important 17 year old reality I could imagine. I wanted to be building boards, surfing and hanging out with my cute girlfriend... I didn't have time to cater to my lame parents paranoid ideas. Fire? Yeah right.
If you have a time machine, I need to go back and smack my stupid ass.
Tuesday night was a reality check, we actually had a fire start in the Santa Cruz shop. Stoked there were fire sprinklers and all possible horror scenarios were avoided. The fire dept didn't get to play with their toys. Remind me to tell my Pops how right he was, he'll love to hear it. Sure there was water damage, floors that had to be ripped out and replaced plus some soot damage to a few boards, but the sprinklers saved the day and the shop is back to business after only a few days of cleanup. Here's a token pic of the firetruck rolling our scene. 
Sadly though, the few boards that were damaged by the soot and water were really nice. Here's a couple pics to commemorate them. Man, Welzie looks pretty cold... Can't wait to join him back in Hawaii on Tuesday.