Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gallery, surfboards and art.... and beers and more beers

Paint resin sand paint resin buff resin color resin. It's all the same, a constant progress. Moving. Making things. Working towards something. The week has been one I am used to. Deadlines. Deadlines. I seem to function my worst and best in these times. New paintings and boards, new art gallery. Covered in resin and paint from the moment I wake up till I wake up again. Always moving and thinking.
The gallery space is crazy. Big, high ceilings, open beams. One any artist would wish for. Walk through space with stairs and more. I love it. The owner of the building lets me put on art shows in his vacant retail spaces untill they get rented out. It works out perfect. We go in, make it presentable, then put all kinds of art you wouldn't see in any place else. The gallery is pruley to show and inspire. Sales are just a bonus. No overhead means no commericial art. Viva the Freestyle.
Myself and photographer Dave Bjorn spent the last three days buffing over the previous tenants horrible choice of greens and reds on the walls. Now it is as white as snow. People ask why we put so much work into a single two day show. I don't know why we do, but we love too. We paint, build, fix things etc. The whole time talking about art related stuff, getting high on creativity and inspiration. I am always hesitant to call myself and artist, I just feel like a pre-Modoana if I do. I just make things. When I am painting everyday, working on an art show, getting things done, I somewhat feel like an artist. I guess I just feel like everyone is an artists in their own way in some form or another.
The show will be up Friday and Saturday night. About fifteen artists in total, actually probably closer to 20. All new stuff. Red who moved to Maui to do tattoo is coming back for the show which is exciting. He was always a huge help, not to mention a show stopper every time. So many friends we have made doing the temperarily perminent  shows, it' great to get every one back under one roof to drink some beers and enjoy each others creative side.
The Circus Gallery getting a new paint job. Dave Bjorn cutting in way in the back.
Busted.... Stienlagers in the picture. Free beer is free beer. I get a lot more buzzed when straying from my CL norm.

Derrick's full freestyle



I am probably the luckiest board builder on the planet. People have been dropping by with beers for me just about every time. Derrick here with his new board and stoked. 

Derrick went the extra mile and provided 42 mouth watering Coors Light beverages that will be consumed this evening at the art gallery BBQ tonight. Thanks Derrick!
Here is Sam's 4'11 Mini sims he picked up the other day. Tiny little thing but looks so fun. A few of the pro's who stop by through the shop wanted to steel the thing, luckily I know Kung Fu ;)
Sam was also so kind to keep the creative juices flowing with Coors Light. I don't know how everyone knows I love drinking beers, especially CL's but it is working out great for me. Thanks everyone.