Friday, February 24, 2012

Greenough edge spoon part 3: Mould making

I wish I had taken more shots of the mould making process. I got really sucked into it and all I could think about was completing the project and blew right through it. My mind gets like that when I'm covering new ground- tunnel vision. The mould was build with polyester resin and fiberglass layed over the plug that you saw built in the previous post. The basic process was polishing out the plug, coating it in mould release wax, buffing it, repeating the wax process about 5 times and then coating the whole deal in a mould release film that hopefully would aid in the separation of the plug and mould. This picture shows the first layer of glass going on...
 Here's what it looked like all layed up. There's about a solid 3/16"-1/4" of fiberglass and resin covering the whole plug at this point.
 A little bracing- I was so deep in hour wise on this project at this point I wasn't going to take any chances with possible twisting of the mould or anything like that. 
\
The moment of truth. This really doesn't tell the story of myself and a friend prying and fighting to peel the mould from the plug until our fingers were bloody from the shards of fiberglass. It took over an hour to pry it loose using compressed air and wedges. But it looked amazing when we finally pried it loose. 
 A little trimming of the edges and a trip outside to the sun. Beautiful if you ask me. All that work sanding, painting and polishing the plug really paid off in the end when the mould was finished!
Next up, laying up the spoon! More tomorrow... The fun part! :) -Carl