Thursday, January 12, 2012

First Board

 This is the first Two Crows board that Welzie and I did together. Believe it or not, it even had the crow logos on the bottom, even though we hadn't even thought of actually making any more than this one board. I figured I'd share a few other pics I randomly have from the building of this first board.
 I was actually just visiting Welzie in Hawaii and it happened that all I had brought were semi guns and the waves were flat. He convinced me that we could build a log in a couple days so that I could get some waves. I ended up shaping the board in a tiny little shaping room up by Sunset. I love that this picture, the first one ever taken of a Two Crows being shaped- you can see a Coors can in the background. Awesome.
 This is a pic of me riding down the Kam in the back of Welzies truck at night, holding onto the shaped blank to keep it from blowing out of the back! That was a pretty sketchy ride, from Sunset to the Sugar Mill
 We glassed the board in the legendary Charlie Walkers shop. Charlie's one of the nicest guys I've met in the mill- but you gotta know him. At this point he hardly even looked at me. Welzie had been working with him for years though. The board was supposed to be glassed clear. Little did I know at this point that "clear" wasn't actually a word in Welzies vocabulary at this point.
Here's a shot of the board getting prepped for hotcoat. These are all the pictures I have of the first board and the experience. We hadn't even considered the idea of working together until after this board was made. Freestyle! -Carl